The 2000 Honda Civic remains the most stolen car in the country, but some high-end vehicles now appear at the top of the list. Although a model of Honda Civic continues to occupy first place, the appearance of top models like the Cadillac Escalade in the ranking reflects the increased involvement of organized crime in car theft, said the OCA.
The Regional Director of Investigations LAC, Joey Ouellet said establishing the existence of two types of car thieves.
The first type is looking for an easy car to steal, deprived of an immobilizer antitheft electronic approval, which can be used for transportation, be dismantled for parts resale or used to commit any other crimes.
The other type of thief is interested in luxury vehicles recent models.
“While these vehicles are more difficult to steal, sophisticated networks of organized crime can make substantial profits by sending them overseas, by removing to sell parts or selling them to unsuspecting consumers after have changed the vehicle identification number (VIN), “said Ouellet.
According to IBC, many other luxury vehicles, which do not appear in the Top 10 hit, interest thieves.
Thus, vehicles with four wheel drive BMW X6, Toyota RAV4 and Lexus RX350 are increasingly targeted by thieves. The OCA notes that the demand for such vehicles is high in Ghana, Nigeria, Dubai, Lebanon, Middle East and Eastern Europe.
Organized criminals ship vehicles overseas, so that the recovery rate of stolen vehicles in Canada continues to decline, although the total number of flights is decreasing.
According to Statistics Canada, 125,271 vehicles were stolen in Canada in 2008, down 15% compared to 2007. These flights cost $ 465m Canadian insurers, or about $ 30 in average auto insurance policy.
This year, in 2009, investigators from the BAC and the police prevented about 300 stolen vehicles from leaving ports in Canada and abroad have repatriated from 72 vehicles representing a total value of approximately $ 11M.
Top Ten Stolen Vehicles in 2009
1. Honda Civic SiR 2-door 2000
2. Cadillac Escalade ESV 4-door, AWD, 2003
3. Honda Civic SiR 2-door 1999
4. Chevrolet / GMC Trailblazer SS, 4 door, 4WD, 2006
5. Cadillac Escalade EXT 4-door, AWD, 2002
6. Cadillac Escalade ESV 4-door, AWD, 2005
7. Mitsubishi Eclipse 2 door 1997 Sypder
8. Audi S4 Quattro 4-door 2000
9. Hummer H2 4 door, AWD, 2006
10. Cadillac Escalade 4-door, AWD, 2005
Top Ten Stolen Vehicles in 2008
1. Honda Civic SiR 2-door, 2000
2. Honda Civic SiR 2-door, 1999
3. Subaru Impreza WRX / WRX STi 4-door, AWD, 2004
4. Dodge / Plymouth Grand Caravan / Voyager, 1995
5. Dodge / Plymouth Caravan / Voyager, 1995
6. Acura RSX Type S, 2 door, 2002
7. Audi TT Quattro Roadster, 2001
8. Acura Integra, 2 door, 1995
9. Dodge / Plymouth Neon, 2 door, 1996
10. Dodge / Plymouth Neon, 4 door, 1996